Find an answer for your Upper Back Pain in Joliet
Dr. Lisa Rubis of ANEW Medical and Rehabilitation is a chiropractor who understands that upper back pain can be much more than a nuisance. It’s a pain that affects all age groups but is often less understood or treated than neck or lower back pain.
All Back Pain is Not the Same
Symptoms of Upper Back Pain
The symptoms of upper back pain can be:
- Delayed – sometimes it takes hours and even days for pain from an injury to become evident. Pain generally becomes apparent in other parts of the body before it is noticed in the upper back or the inflammatory process.
- Gradual – pain often begins mild and worsens slowly over time. Upper back pain can often come and go, depending on the nature of the injury.
- Sudden – sometimes pain can hit for what seems to be no reason at all.
Common symptoms include:
- General discomfort – pain often begins as a general achiness or throbbing that can spread
- Stiffness – When pain worsens enough, the mobility of the upper back’s muscles, ligaments, and/or joints are negatively affected. Though the upper back is more rigid than the lower back, pain in that region can make particular arm movements such as lifting, difficult or even impossible.
- Tingling, numbness, or weakness – like radiating pain, symptoms like these can radiate into the arm, chest, stomach, or lower body. Some patients report a sensation of “pins and needles” that feels like the sharp blade running along their ribs.
- Sharp pain – usually located in one spot rather than spreading outward, these pains are often described as if being gripped in a vice or a knife-like, burning.
- Radiating pain – these pains are usually felt on one side of the body and may be intermittent or continuous.
Treatment of Upper Back Pain
After taking your medical history, performing a physical examination, and discussing your immediate objectives, Dr. Rubis will prescribe a treatment plan.
The most common treatment plan includes one or more adjustments. A spinal adjustment involves your chiropractor manipulating your joints with a controlled, sudden force that alleviates pain and improves your range of motion.
Other therapies may include:
- Nutritional counseling.
- Cold Laser Therapy
- Kinesiology Tape for Muscle Support
- TENS – One of the most common types of therapy we use to treat upper back pain is transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator (TENS).
Contact ANEW Chiropractic for Rehabilitation
Visit ANEW Medical and Rehabilitation to learn about how chiropractic care can treat your upper back pain. to schedule an appointment. If you are in the Joliet, IL area call 815-297- 7463 to schedule an appointment today. Our expert team wants to help relieve your pain and get you back on your feet.